[UPHPU] Article 2

Scott.Hill at flyingj.com Scott.Hill at flyingj.com
Tue Jun 21 10:05:49 MDT 2005

> the problem that arises from this is that you have
> many developers that do not have a strong understanding of oop theory.
> theory coupled with real world experience leads the developer to utilize
> oop in php in a way that is simple, yet effective.
I agree that OOP in PHP is good for simple applications or situations.
There are a lot of instances though where OOP just gets in the way.

> simple in terms that
> you cannot really use advanced features of oop and effective in that you
> can design some great applications.
IMHO, you don't need OOP to design a great application.

> one major problem that i see prevalent throughout the php community is
> that many developers are not taking the time to plan and design the
> sites sufficient enough and then force the oop to conform to their lack
> of design and planning.  this kinda lends to Daniel's comment of when to
> know to use oop. however, i want to take it a step further and say that
> many php developers do not know how to develop in oop because they do
> not understand the theory of objects, oop, ooa, and ood.

Yes, however, many of us do know OOP theory and have used it for many
years.  After more than 20 years of programming (primarily in C/C++) I
still think there are some instances, projects, applications, or whatever
that could be done more quickly and in a more maintainable fashion without
OOP.  OOP in PHP, IMHO, is not necessary.  A language like C++, is
different.  C++ seems to be one of the only languages that allow you free
reign (making it as slick or as nasty as you want) in using OOP.  There are
many projects in which I prefer to use OOP.  However, because of the rigid
OOP nature of Java, I will not have anything to do with it.

I am still experimenting with OOP in PHP5.  It has its place. Sorry for the
length.

Scott Hill