[UPHPU] Article 2

Ray Hunter bigdog at venticon.com
Tue Jun 21 09:45:40 MDT 2005

dataw0lf wrote:
> I agree wholeheartedly!  OOP is a oft overused methodology; many people
> think that introducing OOP into their code will 'fix' it.  It's become
> increasingly common, especially with the advent of Java.  I've seen a
> number of CS college students who get OOP pounded into their head during
> their tenure in school by obtuse professors and seem to think it's the
> only way to encapsulate and abstract their code.

you cant introduce oop into code to fix it. java is a full object
oriented language where php is not. you have to use oop in java regardless.

> How about the performance difference between OOP and procedural in PHP?

depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it. if the code
sucks the code sucks. there is good in both oop and procedural programming.

One that to point out is that there is sometimes an overkill of oop in
php. this comes from the fact that (as dataw0lf put it) oop was added to
php late in the game. the problem that arises from this is that you have
many developers that do not have a strong understanding of oop theory.
theory coupled with real world experience leads the developer to utilize
oop in php in a way that is simple, yet effective. simple in terms that
you cannot really use advanced features of oop and effective in that you
can design some great applications.

one major problem that i see prevalent throughout the php community is
that many developers are not taking the time to plan and design the
sites sufficient enough and then force the oop to conform to their lack
of design and planning.  this kinda lends to Daniel's comment of when to
know to use oop. however, i want to take it a step further and say that
many php developers do not know how to develop in oop because they do
not understand the theory of objects, oop, ooa, and ood.

--
ray