[UPHPU] UTF8 Encoding

Jason Scherbel jscherbel at jazzfanz.com
Fri Jun 17 11:51:45 MDT 2005

If this is too far off topic, I apologize and I'll take my questions
elsewhere.

I'm generating emails from PHP script that are XML documents for a
system integration.  The company I'm working with is claiming that they
aren't European language compatible even though, in the code, I'm doing
a utf8_encode() on the body of the email.  Now I'm fairly new to
encoding, encryption, etc. and part of this same project is to encrypt
the body of the email using ECB and then base64_encode() the body.

My question is, I've got the encryption working using the mcrypt.so
library but what can or should I do to make it compatible with European
languages?  Do I utf8_encode before I encrypt and base64_encode?  Do I
need to check the body that I'm about to encrypt to ensure it doesn't
have European characters in it?  If so, how?  I'm a LOT lost on the
correct approach.  I don't understand the UTF8 stuff :)

Any help is greatly appreciated.