[UPHPU] newb ?: passing info from textarea

John M johnm_ul at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 15:32:00 MDT 2005

Good news/bad news...
Good news: I ditched the book I was reading because
the author kept using if: else: endif; and none of his
examples were working.
Bad news: I'm using another book that is just as old
BUT the examples look a lot cleaner and so far I don't
see any if: else: endif; examples.

Ok...I know I had this working awhile back but came
back to it to give myself a refresher on working with
forms.

The html file is supposed to ask you to enter url's
into a textarea and then pass it to a php file to
repeat what you entered.  I was successful in doing
this with a text box but for some reason it's not
working with this textarea.  After comparing this
information to about 10 other websites, it looks right
but it's not working.

When I type in whatever to the textarea, the only
thing that comes out is...

your favorite websites are:

Here is the html file code...

<head>
<title> websites html</title>
</head>
<form method=get action="textarea.php">
what are your favorite web sites?
<textarea name="websites" cols="50" rows="5">
http://
http://
http://
http://
</textarea>
<input type=submit>
</form>

The php file code is...

<?php
$websites = $_GET['$websites'];
echo "your favorite websites are: ";
echo $websites;
?>

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  (I had to
modify the php file because of the global variable setting)