[UPHPU] Newbie needs help

John M johnm_ul at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 20:33:08 MDT 2005

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Took me until
now to go in and try more of your suggestions.

I used the if (empty($name)) and it worked fine.
(Yeah!)  The if (!define($name)) got me stuck in the
if part of the if/else no matter what I entered so I'm
satisfied with using the empty option.

Tyler Gee wrote:
@John

As you can see, PHP follows the PERL adage TMTOWTDI -
There's More Than One Way To Do It.....don't let all
the counter examples and alternative syntax's get you
down.  You should probably start with what makes most
sense to you so you can get a handle on the language
and later on you will learn all the alternatives
syntax and the associated advantages/disadvantages.

-wtgee

Thanks Tyler.  I'm following along with the examples
in the book I'm reading.  Kevin Yank (author of the
book) referred to the example I posted by stating,

"This example illustrates one of the big selling
points of PHP: that you can switch in and out of "PHP
mode" whenever you like."

I don't have much programming experience but from what
I have had, this example kinda looks sloppy and
disorganized.  I don't think I'd ever break up php
like that when I'm more proficient but at least I'll
know it can be done.  I kinda want to keep reading
this book because it is challenging to figure out how
to convert 'older' ways of doing things and make it
work with the version I have.  I just hope I don't
annoy anyone on the list with my newb questions.  If I
do, please tell me and I'll either look elsewhere or
splurge on a newer book when I'm able to.