[UPHPU] great project meeting last night

David Boucha boucha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 12:42:00 MDT 2005

On 6/10/05, Mac Newbold <mac at macnewbold.com> wrote:
> Today at 10:25am, Steve Dibb said:
>
> > That might be tough throwing MS SQL Server in the mix.  I'm using PEAR::DB,
> > but have never looked at ADODB.  While the SQL syntax between Postgres, SQLite
> > and MySQL is almost entirely interchangable, mssql uses Transact-SQL which
> > might throw some weird errors your way.
> >
> > For instance, you don't do SELECT * FROM table LIMIT 5;  You'd have to use
> > SELECT TOP 5 * FROM table;  And sql server has no OFFSET either.
> >
> > Just something to keep in mind.  I'd ditch support for it completely.
>
> That's great to know, Steve. I wouldn't mind ditching it, personally. We
> had already planned for a way to accomodate the difference with LIMIT, but
> if there will be many other such things, we don't want to mess with it I
> think.
>
> The fact that they can replace it with any number of free databases, even
> on windows, seems like supporting it is a non-issue. But if there are a
> siginificant number of windows users that would need support, I would like
> to at least try, but I'm not convinced there are enough that care.
>
> Other thoughts on MSSQL support?
>
> Mac

I'd rather not bother. If we are dead set on supporting MSSQL, then I
propose we use ADODB or something else, instead of rolling our own
database abstraction. I think we'll find ourselves spending to much
time on it.

If we are going to do our own DB abstraction, then let's keep to
MySQL, PGSQL, and SQLite.

My 2 cents

David Boucha