[UPHPU] Newbie needs help

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Jun 10 11:17:31 MDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:53 AM, John M wrote:
> Everyone:  Thanks for the input so far.  I've inserted
> $_REQUEST['name'] and I've used $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"].
> At this point I'm not getting a blank page anymore.
> Right now I'm getting...(after leaving the text box
> blank on the html page)
>
> if (!isset($name))  {

IIRC, $name will always be _set_, but it will be set to "" if you
send it empty.
You can either use the empty() function,
   http://us4.php.net/manual/en/function.empty.php
or just use $name in a boolean context.
   if ($name) {

Now most hardcore programmers will call the latter option a "very bad
thing".  Maybe empty is the right way?  I am not sure.

--lonnie