[UPHPU] Newbie needs help

John M johnm_ul at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 10 10:53:21 MDT 2005

Everyone:  Thanks for the input so far.  I've inserted
$_REQUEST['name'] and I've used $_SERVER["PHP_SELF"].
At this point I'm not getting a blank page anymore.
Right now I'm getting...(after leaving the text box
blank on the html page)

Your name:

This paragraph contains a link that passes the name
variable on to the next document

I get that response no matter what I put into the text
box on the html page.  I guess my if/else statement
isn't working right?  I'm trying to get a response
that asks me for my name again.  I know this is only
supposed to happen when I leave the html text box
blank which is what I've been doing to test this
little exercise in the book I'm reading.

Here is what I have in my php file now (anyone see any
syntax problems there?)....

<?php
$name = $_REQUEST['name'];
if (!isset($name))  {
?>
<!-- No name has been provided, so we
 prompt the user for one.       -->

<form action="<?=$_SERVER["PHP_SELF"]?>"
method="post">
Please enter your name: <input type="text" name="name"
/>
<input type="submit" value="GO" />
</form>

<?php } else  { ?>

href="newpage.php?name=<?=urlencode($name)?>">link</a>
that passes the name variable on to the next
document</p>

<?php } ?>