[UPHPU] great project meeting last night

Steve Dibb steve at wonkabar.org
Fri Jun 10 10:25:30 MDT 2005

Mac Newbold wrote:
> It was also decided that we will support for Linux/Unix servers
> (including OS X) and Windows (as much as possible). We will support the
> Apache web server. We will support, at a minimum, MySQL, SQLite,
> PostgreSQL, and MS SQL Server, perhaps using PEAR::DB or ADODB, or with
> our own very simple and light weight db abstraction layer. In order to
> ensure support for the various operating systems and databases, we would
> _love_ to have people who use them step forward as testers, developers,
> or both, so that we can make sure we don't break our support for them.
> We've already identified groups that will be using MySQL, PGSQL, and
> probably SQLite, but we haven't yet gotten any Windows or MSSQL
> volunteers. If you could do that, we'd appreciate your sacrifice on our
> behalf. Let me know if you're interested or able.

That might be tough throwing MS SQL Server in the mix.  I'm using
PEAR::DB, but have never looked at ADODB.  While the SQL syntax between
Postgres, SQLite and MySQL is almost entirely interchangable, mssql uses
Transact-SQL which might throw some weird errors your way.

For instance, you don't do SELECT * FROM table LIMIT 5;  You'd have to
use SELECT TOP 5 * FROM table;  And sql server has no OFFSET either.

Just something to keep in mind.  I'd ditch support for it completely.

Steve