[UPHPU] Newbie needs help

John M johnm_ul at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 16:20:37 MDT 2005

I'm reading a book that was made in the year 2000 and
I think that is probably my problem.  I'm trying to
follow along with the examples inside of it but I'm
stuck.

How I think this is supposed to work is that an html
page asks for a name and if nothing is entered and the
GO/Submit button is pressed, it is supposed to ask for
the name again.  Instead I'm getting a blank page.

Below is what I have in each file.

(samplepage.php from the book.  Note: I added the
first line because of the global variable change.)
<?php
	$name = $_POST['name'];
	if (!isset($name)):
?>
	<!-- No name has been provided, so we
		 prompt the user for one.       -->

	<form action="<?=echo($PHP_SELF)?>" method="get">
	Please enter your name: <input type="text"
name="name" />
	<input type="submit" value="GO" />
	</form>

<?php else: ?>

href="newpage.php?name=<?=urlencode($name)?>">link</a>
	that passes the name variable on to the next
document</p>
<?php endif; ?>

(the following is in the body of my html file. I
believe this file works fine because I've used it in a
previous example which did work.)
<form action="samplepage.php" method="post">
name: <input type="text" name ="name" /> <br />
<input type="submit" value="go" />
</form>

I'm thinking that it's not working because of the
version differences from where ever php was in 2000 to
version 5 now...mixed with my "newness" to php.  Maybe
the better question would be, are there better (more
recent) books available that someone on this list has
actually read and would recommend?