[UPHPU] OT: open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 12:42:19 MDT 2005

On 6/7/05, Jeffrey Moss <jeff at opendbms.com> wrote:
> Now I guess the artists are SOL with the internet file sharing and all. I've
> always thought art was overrated anyways... I'd do it for pleasure, or for
> the recognition before I ever did it to make a living, as it really
> contributes nothing at all to the human race. The more artists make, the
> more people die of aids, the slower we explore outer space. People want to
> be rock stars for all the wrong reasons. Pop culture has become a
> disgusting, capitalistic plague IMO and it's because of the way the rights
> to music and film are bought and sold. Support the artists? Give me a break.
> Those artists need to go pick oranges or something.
>
> Ah... that feels better. Now back to work.
>
> -Jeff

Of course art contributes to the human race.  Consumption of art
increases the quality of life for the consumer.  I'm talking art here,
not pop culture.  Pop culture is to art what twinkies are to fine
cuisine.  As for filesharing killing of artists - bullocks.  It may
kill off the pop culture, top 40 manufacturing machine, but that's not
art, it's trash.  Someone who writes a genuinely good album and gives
it away for free (as in money) on the 'net can still make millions
going on tour.  You can't go to a concert over the net.

I would go back to work but I worked from about midnight this morning
until about 9, so I think I can take a break to argue on the net for a
bit :p

Dan