[UPHPU] OT: open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Tue Jun 7 11:16:41 MDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:30 AM, Gary Thornock wrote:
> Copyright is fairly recent, but not just 20th Century.  Here,
> for instance, are a couple of speeches on the subject that were
> delivered in Parliament in 1841:
>
>   http://www.baen.com/library/palaver4.htm

Thanks for the correction.

> On the argument that you should make your money from support:
> there are, indeed, several business models where you can make
> money doing things related to open source software.  Support
> is one, consulting is one, patronage is one, ... However, that
> doesn't change the fact that many companies and individual
> developers want, for varying reasons, to produce closed source
> software, and there is no particular moral reason not to do so.

I think I let my zealotry cloud my mind a bit.   You are right that
this is not a moral issue, but a ideological one.  Free Software,
IMHO, is best for the society as a whole.  It allows for faster,
easier, and more innovation and flexibility.

> As long as we're pulling in Ayn Rand, how about a little
> Heinlein: "Correct morality can only be derived from what man is
> -- not from what do-gooders and well-meaning aunt Nellies would
> like him to be."

Nice quote, I really like Heinlen.

--lonnie