[UPHPU] OT: open source software and freedom

dataw0lf digitalsuicide at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:03:28 MDT 2005

Daniel C. wrote:
> On 6/7/05, dataw0lf <digitalsuicide at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I thought was a bad idea was making *every* piece of intellectual
> property free, not having the option to make your IP free.  A lot of
> companies depend on keeping their source closed, for various reasons
> many of which are perfectly valid, and a world where keeping your
> source closed (just one of the many IP "items") wasn't an option would
> seriously suck for more than one reason.  The freedom to choose closed
> or open source for your IP is just as important as the freedoms F/OSS
> give us.

Which I agree with.  I, personally, would never release a closed source
product (well, not anymore, anyways), not so much because of some near
religious belief in All Things Open Source (tm), but just because the
gain from a community that can contribute is undeniably huge.  It's a
good development model, if done right.  Do I think there are benefits to
remaining closed source? Certainly.
--

Joshua Simpson -- dataw0lf.org
Lead Network Administrator/Engineer Aero-Graphics Inc.
jsimpson at aero-graphics.com