[UPHPU] Suggested PHP reading list (was: open source software and freedom)

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:58:14 MDT 2005

On 6/7/05, Scott.Hill at flyingj.com <Scott.Hill at flyingj.com> wrote:
> Pretty hefty reading for a PHP group.  As long as we're at it, lets get out
> T.S. Elliot and Shakespeare!  I think someone mentioned communism once.  We
> could drum up something for that.  Ayn Rand also wrote "Atlas Shrugged".
> That would be my book club suggestion. Maybe someone could do a book
> catalogue app using our future framework!  I guess we are all too busy
> trying to make a living.  It's a nice thought though.
>
> Scott Hill

Shakespeare and T.S. Elliot should both be required reading for all
thinking adults.  Regarding computer books though, here's a few more
that are good:

The Art of Unix Programming, by ESR (I'm pretty sure I got it right
this time...)
The Art of Computer Programming, by Knuth.  (I'm still on Volume One.)
Design Patterns, aka The Gang of Four.

And by the way, The Virtue of Selfishness is only 151 pages.

Dan