[UPHPU] OT: open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Tue Jun 7 09:48:13 MDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 7:24 PM, Daniel C. wrote:
> It sounds like a crappy idea to me.  Where's the motivation to produce
> something new if you don't get to make a profit from it?

Ok, I can't keep my mouth shut on this one.

How many times do I have to repeat myself.  Free Software doesn't
mean zero cost.  Free Software can be sold for a profit.  http://
www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

About your art producing comment:
Before the recent enactment of copyright laws (yes is is quite recent
20th Century only), most artists were still turning a profit.  Most
pieces were made on a commission by someone with money.  Example: the
Sistine Chapel.  This is not much different from most consulting jobs
done today.  This is a wonderful way to make money and keep software
Free.

As for performance art like music, plays, etc, Artists made money for
the actual performances or services rendered, and not through
licensing.  This is analogous to providing support for a software
package.  You can charge a fee for providing support for Free Software.

Please understand that Free Software doesn't mean zero cost.  There
are other alternatives to make a profit from Free Software.  It just
requires a different business plan.

--lonnie