[UPHPU] OT: open source software and freedom

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 08:48:33 MDT 2005

On 6/7/05, dataw0lf <digitalsuicide at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow.  The attitude toward open source development around here is rather
> snide.
>
> Especially for a mailing list devoted to using an open source
> programming language.
>
> Interesting.

Not sure if you meant my remarks, Steve's remarks, or both, so I'll
defend mine just in case.

What I thought was a bad idea was making *every* piece of intellectual
property free, not having the option to make your IP free.  A lot of
companies depend on keeping their source closed, for various reasons
many of which are perfectly valid, and a world where keeping your
source closed (just one of the many IP "items") wasn't an option would
seriously suck for more than one reason.  The freedom to choose closed
or open source for your IP is just as important as the freedoms F/OSS
give us.

Dan