[UPHPU] OT: open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 19:24:50 MDT 2005

On 6/6/05, John David Anderson <uphpu at mail.johndavidanderson.net> wrote:
> These unalienable rights are those that allow us to listen/read/run
> anything we want and use it however we want. It really seems like a
> great idea when you think about it, and the power it would give to
> humanity would be awesome...

It sounds like a crappy idea to me.  Where's the motivation to produce
something new if you don't get to make a profit from it?  Obviously a
lot of F/OSS developers are developing software without a monetary
incentive.  This is completely different, though.  Read The Cathedral
and The Bazaar if you don't already know why it's different.  Artists,
musicians, etc. make a living producing their work, though, and if
anything they produced all of a sudden got owned by the whole world,
there'd be no incentive (for professionals who depend on their art for
a living) to produce art any more.  Since I'm invoking books, I'd
might as well invoke The Virtue of Selfishness (Ayn Rand) along with
The Cathedral & The Bazaar (Stallman).

Dan