[UPHPU] open source software and freedom

Benjamin Schmuhl schmuhl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:17:06 MDT 2005

Lonnie Olson wrote:

> I apologize for adding to the flame of this war.  No single person
> can be blamed for starting it, but I can be blamed for continuing
> it.  I have some strong beliefs.

Hey, you know I respect you for your beliefs.  It's good to hash these
things out from time to time.  It is the diversity of this group that
makes us interesting, that has kept me checking my mail all day looking
forward to the next post.  This is a good thing.  BTW, I run Fedora,
OpenOffice and any other open-source software I can get my hands on, I
even have a couple of open-source projects I am trying to get into
sourceforge.  But in my field, closed-source means competitive edge, and
we need that.  That's all.  Your arguments have made me consider
evaluating my stance again, so thanks.

But as far as competition goes, I don't think that opensource can ever
be squashed -- by attempting it, it would only make us stronger.  I
think the future holds a time when computing costs are only hardware costs.