[UPHPU] open source software and freedom

Scott.Hill at flyingj.com Scott.Hill at flyingj.com
Mon Jun 6 15:06:03 MDT 2005

> depends on how you look at it. my overall point with the house example
> is that the seller has no rights after the house is sold. whereas a
> license does not relinquish those rights to the purchaser. :)

Agreed.

> > I feel there is a place for open source if for nothing else than to
break up
> > an _illegal_ monopoly that a certain gigantic software company has.
>
> also note there are legal monopolies that are regulated. however, i dont
> think that open source software was developed with the intent to break
> up illegal software monopolies...but resulted from the fact that we
> cannot see "under the hood".

I agree.  However, if your fed up with the price you pay for something and
someone comes along and undercuts the competition, it has ripple affects in
the market not the software.

> > Open source encourages competition.
>
> competition for what...bragging rights?

If someone is selling the same thing you are for less or for free, it will
force you to make your product better so people will buy it instead of
getting the free stuff.  This is just plain healty competition.

> > Not to mention we will be a _slave_ to whatever software is available.
>
> the world is already a slave to commercial software.

However, there are people (and companies) that are willing to pay to write,
re-write, re-engineer software that they could just buy.  For whatever
reason, they want the software to work _their_ way or _they want to own it_
not just rent it.

Scott Hill