[UPHPU] open source software and freedom

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Mon Jun 6 14:59:05 MDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:41 PM, Benjamin Schmuhl wrote:
> You have spun a request for insights on Zend Studio into an
> opportunity to spread your opinion on other (although slightly-
> related) matters.  I hope that the original poster will feel like
> he/she may post again without igniting an off-topic discussion that
> never really answers their question.  Other than that, this has
> been an intellectually-stimulating debate and I encourage (even
> though they are often off-topic) this type of civilized, flame-
> retardant discussion in the future.  Thanks, Lonnie!

I was not the person to "spin" this request into this.  I simply
answered the original poster's question with a valid reason why
eclipse is better than Zend Studio.  I was then asked several
questions about my beliefs and I simply answered.  Please don't call
me a troll, as I will answer the questions I am asked.

I apologize for adding to the flame of this war.  No single person
can be blamed for starting it, but I can be blamed for continuing
it.  I have some strong beliefs.

My closing statement:

I personally place a lot of value on Freedom.  Sure MS Office has
more features than OpenOffice, but the value of my Freedom severely
outweighs any of those features.

The average person doesn't seem to understand that these Freedoms are
an important value to the software package.  Publishing and choosing
software without these Freedoms is not and should not be illegal, but
should be discouraged as it promotes this very ignorance I am trying
to fight.

The price of money has absolutely nothing to do with what I am
describing.  It is possible to charge a fee for Free software.  There
is lots of money to be made in the Free Software industry.  I
encourage this.  It may mean you need to change the focus of your
business plan, but it will work.  Me and many other web developers
are great examples of it.

Ok, I'll shut up now and say no more about this topic.

--lonnie