[UPHPU] open source software and freedom

Scott.Hill at flyingj.com Scott.Hill at flyingj.com
Mon Jun 6 14:12:38 MDT 2005

> actually renting a house might be closer, cause when you sell a house
> the house becomes property of the purchaser along with everything that
> is in the house. however, licensing is a product is far different then
> purchasing a product.

Whatever!  Wades point is valid.  The main reason that us programmer types
have jobs in a viable labor market is that there are lots of people willing
to pay us to do it _their_ way instead of MicroSofts way or whoever.  I
feel there is a place for open source if for nothing else than to break up
an _illegal_ monopoly that a certain gigantic software company has.  Open
source encourages competition.  If the market ever gets to the point where
everyone is willing to _rent_ their software, we will all be out of jobs.
Not to mention we will be a _slave_ to whatever software is available.
I also agree that we don't give up anything but our money when we purchase
commercial(non-opensource) software.  We actually are creating a healthy
economy for our industry.  In a free enterprise economy, everyone supports
everyone else by _purchasing_ their products.  Also, you always have to be
on the lookout for fraudulent scammers who will try to sell you a license
or product or anything and then take your money and give you nothing.
However, if people are willing to purchase your product or license or
whatever because they can see value in it, more power to them.

IMHO
Sorry for the lenth.

Scott Hill