[UPHPU] decision making [group project]

John David Anderson uphpu at mail.johndavidanderson.net
Mon Jun 6 11:07:57 MDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Daniel C. wrote:

> On 6/6/05, Ray Hunter <bigdog at venticon.com> wrote:
>
>> This should be the official way to vote. I understand that many might
>> not have the ability to attend all meetings or any for that matter.
>> however, there still needs to be an official method for voting and i
>> think that if anyone attends the meeting their vote should count
>> as 2.
>>
>> i think that votes via email are the best way for individuals that
>> cannot attend can still voice their votes. however, i think their
>> count
>> should be 1.
>>

> Why make votes at the meeting count as two?  Is someone's opinion less
> valid because their kid was sick that night?

<bias>As someone that isn't able to come to meetings, I'd rather not
go along with this idea either.</bias>

Voting this way seems to discourage participation from people who
can't come to meetings - which is a larger workforce the group can
tap into. Can't we "meet" online somehow?

I really like the idea of a maintainer - and sub-maintainers. This
project needs leadership or it will die by discussion. I think
progress could move quickly if we had talented leads working with teams.

I don't personally like the idea of vote-by-email (because polls are
made for... polling), but I don't really mind if we end up using it.
It would be nice to have a UPHPU-vote list though so the vote emails
don't end up mixed in with normal UPHPU or even UPHPU Framework
discussions.

-- John