[UPHPU] open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Jun 3 16:55:42 MDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> Do you believe that everything should be free? or just software?

Everything as in food, houses, desks, etc.?
They *are* free.

Freedom comparison:
0: The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
1: The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
2: The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3).
Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

0: I can use an apple as a doorstop
1: I can study the house layout, and remodel it
2: I can give my neighbor my desk, or build an exact copy and sell it
3: I can build a better mousetrap and sell it.

As you can see almost everything already has these freedoms.  The
average person has been brainwashed to believe they don't need these
freedoms in software.

--lonnie

P.S.  I am not perfect.  (I use OSX)  eww.  shame on me the
hypocrite.  OSX is just too cool.  I am just trying to spread the
word, and teach people.   Everyone should strive to use and promote
Free Software.