[UPHPU] open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Jun 3 16:03:27 MDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 1:29 PM, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> These are freedoms that you never had though, so you are not giving
> anything up. Closed source has limits that open-source does not,
> but choosing the limited option is not giving up freedoms. You make
> a conscious decision to do that.
>
> There is nothing wrong with closed-source software. If someone
> wants to produce that as a product and sell it and someone else
> wants to purchase that, then that is simply commerce—goods and
> services.

That is the mentality that is preventing much of the world from
maintaining these freedoms.  I do have these freedoms if I choose
Free Software.  I have a huge library of software to choose from.

The biggest problem is people who *consciously decide* to give up
their freedoms.  The FSF is a great organization trying to teach
people about this horrible problem.  There are alternatives you can
choose.  Why would anyone want to *choose* to give up their
freedoms?  Are you willing to conciously decide to give up your
freedom of speech?  Of course not.  Why would you?

Closed source software is harmful on many points.
1. It supports freedom thieves.
2. Using it promotes ignorance of these freedoms in others.
3. It obstructs the progress of technology.
4. It prevents you from helping your neighbor.
5. etc.

Free Software doesn't have to be free of cost[2].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html