[UPHPU] OT: programming vs. markup languages

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 12:56:54 MDT 2005

> Your designers don't know how to program? I thought that they were
> coding your display structure in XHTML and coding your display logic
> in SMARTY. Are you not considering XHTML and SMARTY as a programming
> languages?

The language that Smarty gives you is not, actually, (I believe)
Turing equivalent.  You can add more functions to make it Turing
equivalent, but out of the box (again, I believe) it's not.  Does this
mean that it doesn't qualify as a programming language?

Also, XHTML = eXtensible (right?) HypterText Markup Language.  Doesn't
that make it a markup language, as opposed to a programming language?
I *know* that XHTML isn't Turing equivalent.

I know this is a bit off topic.  I pray that the Gods of the List will
forgive me. </melodrama>

Dan