[UPHPU] open source software vs. freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Jun 3 12:14:48 MDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Gary Thornock wrote:
> I don't understand either.  Is there some clause in the Zend
> Studio license agreement that prevents you from using vim to edit
> the same code you've edited with Zend Studio?  I rather doubt it.
>
> It's great to be able to find software with a "free as in
> free" [1] license, but, as long as there are multiple programs
> available that can do the job, under a variety of licenses,
> there's no loss of your freedom if some of those licenses aren't
> "Free".
>
> [1] Example: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php

Just to clarify a bit more.  My point isn't that your PHP application
you develop will not be free, just because you use a Non-Free
editor.  My point is that your usage of a Non-Free editor itself is a
loss of freedoms.

open source != Free Software
All Free Software is open source, but not all open source software is
Free.
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html

Zend Studio is not even open source.

So skip Zend Studio, and use one of the many Free alternatives.

--lonnie