[UPHPU] open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Jun 3 11:59:19 MDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 9:08 AM, Gary Thornock wrote:
> I don't understand either.  Is there some clause in the Zend
> Studio license agreement that prevents you from using vim to edit
> the same code you've edited with Zend Studio?  I rather doubt it.
>
> It's great to be able to find software with a "free as in
> free" [1] license, but, as long as there are multiple programs
> available that can do the job, under a variety of licenses,
> there's no loss of your freedom if some of those licenses aren't
> "Free".

The freedoms you give up by purchasing a closed-source/Non-Free
license include, but not limited to:

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your
needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor
(freedom 2).
* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements
to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3).
Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

--lonnie