[UPHPU] open source software and freedom (was: Zend Studio)

Gary Thornock Gary_Thornock at sento.com
Fri Jun 3 09:08:53 MDT 2005

> Lonnie Olson wrote:
>> A $100 bucks is not the real price you are paying.  The real
>> price you are paying is your freedom.  Zend Studio is not
>> Free (with a capital F).  Why pay someone to take away your
>> freedoms, that is just plain silly.  It is just as silly as if
>> you were to pay someone to prevent you from voting.  We all
>> need to learn that we shouldn't have to pay for software with
>> our freedom.
>
> I don't understand that point being made here. What freedoms
> are you giving up by purchasing a software license?

I don't understand either.  Is there some clause in the Zend
Studio license agreement that prevents you from using vim to edit
the same code you've edited with Zend Studio?  I rather doubt it.

It's great to be able to find software with a "free as in
free" [1] license, but, as long as there are multiple programs
available that can do the job, under a variety of licenses,
there's no loss of your freedom if some of those licenses aren't
"Free".

[1] Example: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php