[UPHPU] PHP Framework Project Launch - Coders welcome to attend

John David Anderson uphpu at mail.johndavidanderson.net
Fri Jun 3 08:44:19 MDT 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 6:36 AM, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:

> What's wrong with your designers using PHP?

Because its rare that they know how to program. If they did, why
would they be working with me? Its also handy to show to clients. All
I need to say is "don't touch anything between curly braces." If
someone has never picked up programming, even something so simple as
a for loop is way over their head. Smarty allows them to keep making
small HTML changes without having to worry about any PHP code problems.

> If it's a great language, shouldn't they use it too? If you are
> worried about security, then simply put your templating engine in a
> sandbox so they only have access to the variables/features you want
> them too.

I suppose I could, but to be sure that nothing odd is going on, I
would want to make sure - which would require reviewing all the
templates. Why go to the hassle of setting this up when its already
been done?

> Predefined functions that exist in SMARTY are the only advantages
> that I seen, but I still can't see why the SMARTY authors didn't
> just write them as PHP functions.

Because there aren't any functions that are as pointed for a specific
purpose as some of the Smarty functions. If you want to learn them,
they can save a little time in the long run. If you don't, using
normal PHP functions can be just as good.

> In regards to caching, can't you do the same thing with PHP?

Yes, but you'd have to write it, or use something else (which
requires a little study past vanilla PHP knowledge). With Smarty, its
already there.

-- John