[UPHPU] PHP Framework Project Launch - Coders welcome to attend

Daniel C. dcrookston at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 07:08:04 MDT 2005

On 6/3/05, Wade Preston Shearer <lists at wadeshearer.com> wrote:
> What's wrong with your designers using PHP? If it's a great language,
> shouldn't they use it too? If you are worried about security, then
> simply put your templating engine in a sandbox so they only have
> access to the variables/features you want them too.
>
> Predefined functions that exist in SMARTY are the only advantages
> that I seen, but I still can't see why the SMARTY authors didn't just
> write them as PHP functions. In regards to caching, can't you do the
> same thing with PHP?

Wade, I see your points here and I even agree with you.  But I can't
shake the feeling that writing a language for designers to use is just
cool, that giving them functions they can use in a format they're
familiar with (html like tags or whatever), and then parsing that out
into php code... it just makes me feel like a "cool hacker".  'Cause
I've designed a tool that people are using to do useful things.  Never
mind that tools to do that already existed and my time could have been
better used elsewhere.

Dan