[UPHPU] Re: PHP Framework Project Launch

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Jun 2 13:05:51 MDT 2005

Today at 1:01pm, Ray Hunter said:

> Mac Newbold wrote:
>> Absolutely. PHP5 can run PHP4 apps, usually perfectly well, especially
>> if we're desigining it to do that from the beginning. The differences
>> between PHP5 and PHP4 are really very small in terms of being compatible
>> with one another for normal stuff.
>
> php5 can run php4 apps however, i have noticed that many apps built with
> php4 running under php5 have some major issues. That is why you are
> seeing many standard apps being rewritten for php5.

Sounds like someone (*cough* bigdog *cough*) needs to do a presentation on
running PHP4 apps under PHP5 and porting PHP4 apps to PHP5.

If there are some simple things we can just avoid in order to maintain
compatibility, then we could just do that. If there are some fundamental
things, then even I might be convinced that we should write it in 5 to
begin with.

Mac