[UPHPU] PHP Framework Project Launch - Coders welcome to attend

John David Anderson uphpu at mail.johndavidanderson.net
Thu Jun 2 12:27:57 MDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 12:08 PM, Lonnie Olson wrote:
> I dislike get and set methods, they just add unnecessary complexity
> to something that is often not needed.

I like them because they are a way to centralize your application's
access to a certain set of data. If I want to change the way a
person's birthdate is displayed, its easier to change a single get
rather than tracking down accesses in other places. I can see how
this could totally be personal preference, though.

> I don't want to have to support *any* Db abstraction layer.  I will
> support ONE db abstraction layer.  I highly prefer Pear::DB.  If we
> start adding capabilities to support more our project will turn
> into another PITA craptastic framework.

Maybe we can just have an interface-like class that allows you to do
whatever you want.

I like Pear::DB too, but I'm trying out adodb on a new project. Its
supposed to be faster. (http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/)

> I highly dislike Smarty.  PHP can in itself be a presentation
> layer, and still be separate from the logic of the site.  Why
> bother learning a whole new template language when we already know
> a good one (PHP).  And again, I do not want to support many
> template engines, only one.  I will bend to the will of the group
> and use Smarty, if we implement some kind of page caching as well.

Again, a good case for allowing people to do the presentation however
they want. In defense of Smarty, however, it has some nice features
that have saved me time, and the 'language' you have to learn is
trivial.

-- John