[UPHPU] PHP Framework Project Launch - Coders welcome to attend

John David Anderson uphpu at mail.johndavidanderson.net
Thu Jun 2 10:40:01 MDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 10:00 AM, David Boucha wrote:

> I agree with Mac about the need for basic building blocks for a site.
> I've looked at quite a few "frameworks" and they never quite provide
> what I need.

I agree. I've been hunting for a good framework for a while, but I
still end up using my own techniques - which are far from full-
featured, but work for me.

I'd be interested in something that is extremely modular and atomic.
Want a new data object? Plug it in. Want a table/form generator? Plug
it in.

One of the problems with some frameworks is that you have to write a
kabillion configuration files and register actions and forms...
(*cough* struts *cough*) and the work in setting up the framework
ends up being more than if you just wrote everything from scratch,
not to mention the hit the system takes in keeping track of
everything. I really like lightweight and atomic.

> Wouldn't it be great to run an sql script to set up the MySQL
> database, upload some scripts to your web root along with a folder
> containing a bunch of utility classes and, BAM!! your permission/login
> system is up and running along with a basic site.

Awesome idea - I'd like to define my DB structure, and have PHP
classes (with get and set methods) and DB tables automatically
generated and tied to the DB abstraction layer of my choice. Form
generators and validation rules could then be added to any data
object class you wanted.

> Then the site layout
> is a snap to rearrange and beautify with CSS and whatever your studly
> graphics designer comes up with.

Many frameworks use Smarty or another engine - I'd recommend
following this trend. Partly because I already know and like Smarty,
but I think re-creating the presentation layer could be a lot of work.

> Then, adding and configuring any
> additional modules is as simple as uploading them to a modules folder
> and enabling them.

Amen.

Sorry to be another monkey wrench thrower (especially because I
wasn't at the meeting), but my vote is for PHP 5, too. I think if we
write it with the fading version in mind, we'll just want to redo it
in the near future. I really want to get in the habit of using
Exceptions and some of the OOP magic of PHP 5, and a project that
forces me to work in PHP 5 would be a great way to dive in.

If we decide PHP4, though I'm totally cool with that. I think either
way is really workable.

-- John