[UPHPU] picking up expired domains

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Tue Feb 22 15:30:14 MST 2005

On Feb 22, 2005, at 1:54 PM, phpninja wrote:
> I just had a bad experience with this recently.

I have to respond to this with my godaddy experience.

I have several domains, and they all have very different expiration
dates.  I use the same contact email address on all of them.  I was
receiving lots of spam at this address, so I decided to redirect it all
to a free webmail account.  Unfortunately, I am a dumba$$, and didn't
check this account for several months.  It had expired!  eek!

I was worried, cause I liked this domain name.  The whois showed it was
in some kind of recapture period.  I emailed godaddy customer support,
and they said I could have it back right now for $80-$90.  I don't want
to pay that much.  I was a little pissed, but almost understanding as
it was my fault.  Also, I found that this kind of price is standard
among all registrars.

I was feeling a bit low, but decided as a last try to use godaddy's
backorder.  I figured I would be willing to risk losing the domain
rather than pay the extortion price.  The backorder was only ~$20, not
bad.  I got the weekly updates, and about a month later, I got an email
telling me it was a success, and I am now the NEW owner.

Thoughts:
1. I might have just been lucky, or no-one wants to touch myfungus.net.
  :)
2. The backorder process is long, but not too bad.
3. I will use better filters on my contact address, and not forward it
to the round-file that is yahoo.
4. I might actually pay to get all my domains adjusted to expire on the
same day.

--lonnie