[UPHPU] Going Rate for PHP/MySQL Development

Mac Newbold mac at macnewbold.com
Thu Oct 28 14:05:22 MDT 2004

Today at 10:12am, Dan Wilson said:

>Using this formula, I should be charging $58... if I could get that out
>of a contract job, I'd be a happy man! And would probably be able to
>quit my full-time job and just do contract work.

Speaking as person who _does_ contract work as a full time job, doing
PHP/MySQL primarily, I can tell you that someone good, with the right
clients, can get that, and even higher. $50-$75/hr isn't out of the
question if you're good, which IMO means:

a) high quality results
b) relatively fast, so fewer hours charged

Even when I'm billing hourly, I like to give clients at least a rough
estimate of the total, because if they just compare my hourly to the other
guy, it looks outrageous. But even when we're charging $75/hr, our bids
come in _lower_ than a lot of the competition, presumably because they're
slower and have to bill more hours.

Of course, this assumes that you're pretty much solo, finding your own
clients, paying your own overhead and benefits, etc. If you're on a team
of contractors, and someone else is paying the overhead or finding all the
clients, the rate would go down a little. (Still, for someone good, it
should be at least $30/hr, and as high as $50 would be pretty reasonable
for the right person.)

By the way, if anyone out there is Really Good, and looking for some
contract work, based out of Salt Lake City, we (www.dmedia.ws) might want
to talk to you.  We're experiencing some serious growth and are looking
into our options for trying to keep up.

Thanks,
Mac