[UPHPU] any asp converts?

Jon Jensen jjensen at debonairesolutions.com
Mon Nov 29 18:07:46 MST 2004

> Jon,
>     Replying off-list.  What I'm wondering is if you can give me an
> objective answer on the question of whether you think ASP or PHP is a
> 'better' language.  I guess the question itself is subjective, but...
> well, you're the first person I've "met" who knows them both, and I've
> been wondering about this for as long as I've been using PHP.  Is ASP
> really that bad, is PHP really all that superior, etc. etc.  If you
> get a lot of these you might just want to write a single reply to the
> list, I'm sure other people would be interested in hearing your
> opinion as well.
> Thanks for your time,
> Dan

Dan,

Glad you asked. I'm sending this back to the list so that others can add
their insights.

I'll echo what many have said previously. The truth is, you can write
secure, efficient, modular code in PHP. You can also do it in ASP.
Conversly, you can write horrible, buggy code full of security flaws in
either language. Almost anything that can be done in one can be implemented
in the other.

With that out of the way, there are several reasons why I prefer PHP to ASP:

1. Syntax. Coming from a Java/C++ background, PHP is much more intuitive to
me as programmer. Though I originally started out programming in Basic as a
child, I'd rather not be reminded of it. While many cool features have been
added to VBScript, Basic still shines through and it's ugly.

2. Simplicity. Generally I have found that I can accomplish things in fewer
lines of code in PHP. I've done enough ASP to be extremely efficient in it,
however I still find this to be the case on a fairly regular basis.

3. Open source. And not just because open source is cool. PHP is great
because of its large contributer base; many things you would have to program
in ASP already exist in PHP in the form of a function, class or module.

4. Maturity. This hearkens back to the syntax, but PHP is simply a more
mature language. Take classes for example. ASP does not support inheritance,
and its classes are a joke. Or how about functions -- in PHP you can
overload methods using argument lists, but not in ASP.

There are many other reasons people have for preferring PHP (benchmarks,
portability, etc.), but for me the most important ones are those 4.

Jon