[UPHPU] virtual PHP hosts and database code generation

Jeffrey Moss jeff at opendbms.com
Tue Nov 23 09:55:50 MST 2004

I've been using propel, which is a ORM package, http://propel.phpdb.org/
It's only compatible with PHP5 and only the most popular databases, although
it can be adapted to others.

I don't see the value in GUI based code generation at all. All propel does
is set you up with a nice data model based on an XML configuration of your
database, so you can go back and tweak your database and data model from the
same source. It might be overkill for some applications, although I use it
for even the simplest scripts.

There are code mapping tools that will use the new reflection classes to go
from one OO programming language, to XMI (XML Metadata Interchange), to
another language, which is technically code generation, as well as going
from UML to XMI to PHP and starting with that. But GUI based code
generation? Worthless. I'd just keep my fingers on my keyboard and type.

I'm going to be talking about ORM and OOP and other reusable code techniques
in February's meeting (excluding code generation altogether). Any other
suggestions are welcome. I was considering an introduction to UML if people
are interested...

-Jeff