[UPHPU] PHP Classes?

David Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Tue Nov 16 11:55:08 MST 2004

<quote who="Ashley Oviatt">
> Are there any php classes being taught at UVSC or BYU? If not, what
> class would be a good one to take to learn more about good programming
> habits in general and maybe learn some new (or old) ways of doing things?

There are definitely no BYU classes that teach PHP. But I did use PHP in
my compilers class to write my compiler. Also, I would not recommend any
BYU classes to help you learn best software engineering best practices,
but I would recommend them if you want a more theoretical foundation in
computation. If you are looking for hands-on stuff, I would recommend a
design patterns book (Design Patterns Explained is pretty good), a
software engineering book (I like The Pragmatic Programmer), and lots of
hands-on production coding. If you want to get up to speed on PHP, pick up
the latest from O'Reilly. I read Programming PHP when I got started and it
was very helpful to get the foundation down.

--Dave