[UPHPU] Java and Frameworks (was: MVC)

Ray Hunter bigdog at venticon.com
Mon Nov 15 21:14:02 MST 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 20:49, Daniel C. wrote:
> Java is a language for mediocre programmers working in large teams.  I
> say this because it strictly enforces rules about what you can and
> can't do.  If you have good programmers (which are hard to come by)
> then they don't need enforcement of these rules, because they'll just
> do it naturally.  So, if you want to employ 200 programmers to work on
> a large project, you'll want to use Java - not only because you'll
> never, ever hire 200 good programmers and keep them happy, but because
> Java programmers are easy to replace.  When one quits, you can hire
> another fairly easily.

I think that mediocre programmers are not limited to java alone. I would
disagree that good programmers are hard to come by, there are many on
this list that have proven their ability time and time again.  There are
many projects that utilize many developers, however, i can say that i am
working on an enterprise system that has 70k+ concurrent users and 1.2M+
users total. We only have 15 developers total. I think that there is a
place for each language which goes hand in hand with the programmer's
abilities too.

--
Ray