[UPHPU] LDAP meeting ideas

Dave Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Mon Nov 15 20:47:12 MST 2004

Group,

As was announced today, I will be presenting on PHP and LDAP at
Tuesday's meeting. I would like to solicit your requests for the
meeting's emphasis. I am planning on presenting:

- The PHP LDAP API and how to build LDAP support into your PHP applications.
- A general overview of LDAP and its uses (lots of people don't know
what it is).
- If desired, I can also walk through some of the code behind
phpLDAPadmin (there's a lot).
- LDAP servers on the market today.
- The history of LDAP (too boring?)
- Why you should care about LDAP.

I gave an LDAP presentation to Plug over a year ago, but I've lost my
meeting notes, so you are all free to shape the focus of this meeting.

Please let me know what you'd like to hear about, and I will do my best
to make the meeting highly detailed and informative. I will try to leave
an ample amount of time for Q&A since there was a lot of that at Plug
last year.

And of course, the obligatory "you should attend if" statements:

* If you are a sysadmin and you are sick and tired of Windows domain
administration, NIS, or trying to keep dozens of passwords in sync, then
LDAP is for you.

* If you are a developer who wants to make it easy for others to
integrate their in-house authentication systems into your applications,
then LDAP is for you.

* If you store contact information in a relational database, and you
want to make it accessible to others without the hassle of writing a
custom web services API, then LDAP is for you.

* If you are a sysadmin with over 100 users with multiple workstations,
then LDAP is definitely for you!

Look forward to seeing you all there.

--Dave