[UPHPU] Flash and PHP

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Nov 12 14:33:58 MST 2004

On Nov 12, 2004, at 12:33 PM, jeffrey neslen wrote:
> But I have to disagree about generating simple
> interfaces with flash it is awesome in this regard.
> It is much easier to produce high quality dynamically
> generated navigation, menu headers and banners using
> flash than with javascript.  Besides that you can
> embed fonts for better looking sites as well as the
> ability to compress images much better than some raw
> jpg or gifs.

While I don't doubt your talent with Flash desgin.  Flash should be
used carefully and sparingly on all sites.  WebAIM has a great
article[1] on how to use flash the right way, accessible.  Unless you
know that 100% of your site's visitors use flash capable browsers, can
see, hear, and interoperate like the average person, you should not use
flash for critical pieces of your site w/o an alternative.

You might remember the great presentation[2] Dave Turnbull gave last
July about Web accessibility.

Also don't forget the wonderful resource that A List Apart[3] is.
There are many articles explaining techniques to make beautiful sites
usable by anyone.

1. http://www.webaim.org/techniques/flash/
2. http://uphpu.org/article.php?story=20040716162010699
3. http://www.alistapart.com/topics/accessibility/

--lonnie

p.s. Lets save all of our email servers bandwidth by trimming our
posts.  :)