[UPHPU] Flash and PHP

Jeremy Burgess jeremy at edgecast.net
Fri Nov 12 13:10:04 MST 2004

Similar to Lonnie's view I personally think Flash should be used to
enhance a site, but not be a necessary component like navigation or
entryway UNLESS an alternative solution is provided, the cost of which
is not always justifiable.

Now, for the sake of a current hot topic on this list I'd like to
mention that Flash excels in its presentation capabilities and PHP
excels in data handling and logic. With all this talk of separating out
the presentation layer the prospect of passing data to flash should be
given some credit here.

I worked with a Flash designer on this several years ago, before Flash
had a fancy XML parser, with a product catalog for Xircom who has since
been bought by Intel. The HTML catalog was already completed, so this
was a value add project for supported visitors. And having worked on
both the Flash and the HTML solutions I have to say that I was more
pleased with the flash solution, because I only had to concern myself
with generating the XML. A very clear line had been drawn between the
presentation layer and the data layer. My PHP was just a few lines of
pure PHP. The user interface was very smooth and stylish.

This is not a magic solution. Use of Flash should be considered
carefully. However, the same XML generated for Flash can also be used to
supply data to an HTML page, allowing you to provide multiple avenues of
presentation with a single data source.

--Jeremy

Lonnie Olson wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2004, at 9:13 AM, OgdenNights.com wrote:
>
>> If I use JavaScript extensively, then I will have to make the website
>> specifically for one browser;

Javascript can be written to address different browsers where the need
arises.

--
Jeremy Burgess
Edgecast Web Solutions