[UPHPU] Flash and PHP

Lonnie Olson fungus at aros.net
Fri Nov 12 11:24:42 MST 2004

On Nov 12, 2004, at 9:13 AM, OgdenNights.com wrote:

> Does anyone have experience using flash with PHP? I'm wondering if I
> should
> use Flash to interface with PHP like many people use JavaScript with
> PHP. If
> I use JavaScript extensively, then I will have to make the website
> specifically for one browser; but with Flash, all browsers can use it
> the
> same. I don't know how passionate everyone is on this subject -- I
> hope I'm
> not causing a flame war with this one.
>
> -Timothy

I personally *hate* flash when it is used for basic web design, like
navigation, logos, etc.  IMO, flash should only be used when necessary,
like product demos, and other similar tools that can't be done well
otherwise.  Also flash used badly pretty much defeats any possibility
of accessibility.

As far as a Flash *interface* to PHP.  I have never used ming myself,
but it looks as it will create flash files for you on the fly.  If you
weren't referring to creating flash files, then there is no interface
to PHP.  Flash is client side, PHP is server side.  Your PHP code will
just generate the HTML necessary to instruct the client to load a flash
file.

--lonnie