[UPHPU] Java and Frameworks

Jeff Moss jeff at opendbms.com
Thu Nov 11 12:25:47 MST 2004

>I disagree. They are fundamentally different languages. How is PHP
>following Java?

Given that they have similar syntax, a lot of Java developers who want
the benefits of an interpreted language would simply port their java
code over to PHP. Practically every jakarta project out there is being
ported to PHP. I noticed a lot of people on the php5 dev list advocating
development in the direction of Java (which is why the dynamic type
checking turned out to be such a huge debate, right?)

The persistent objects you mention are a major downside of PHP, and one
thing I liked about mod_perl, but I've seen some pecl extensions to use
shared memory for objects, and there is talk that it may be incorporated
into the language in the next release. (Another reason I believe PHP is
moving toward Java)

So purely in terms of language differences, there are all the added
benefits of an interpreted language; dynamic type checking, eval,
symbolic references, etc. But your definition of "huge differences"
aren't that big on my list. Syntax and semantics would be a huge
difference/similarity, and the fundamental aspects of a language in my
opinion. Compare java and php to python or ruby or lisp for that matter.

-Jeff