[UPHPU] Java and Frameworks

Jeff Moss jeff at opendbms.com
Thu Nov 11 10:03:11 MST 2004

Doesn't the newest revision of Java let you load up or "use" a namespace
like C# does? That could potentially make it more usable (and less
readable). I am not a Java guru but I remember reading that somewhere.

IMO Java is just more strict, more evolved version of PHP. PHP is going
the same direction as Java recently, which is a shame. I'd like to see
it become more dynamic. Ruby has some pretty cool dynamic features
(method override on the fly, dynamically imported class functions, "mix
ins", iterators, true OO programming). I'm just waiting for Ruby to
become more mainstream, it seems to be gaining momentum very rapidly. I
still use perl too, but perl comes up way short in the OO dept. and I've
sortof forgotten about perl 6 at this point.

I think one very significant reason to use Java is that you hide your
code in jar files. I know you can obfuscate PHP code too, but I get the
feeling that PHP has more "open source" fuel behind it, where Java looks
more appealing to someone who wants to sell their code.

-Jeff