[UPHPU] Java and Frameworks (was: MVC)

John David Anderson uphpu at mail.johndavidanderson.net
Thu Nov 11 09:02:37 MST 2004

<quote who='Ray'>
> After developing with
> MVC and frameworks in java, php does not follow the same paradigm. When
> implementing these types in php there is an overkill to it all.

<quote>

It seems like the general tenor of the technology world is that Java is
better (especially for the 'enterprise') because it requires this rigid
framework. I haven't been able to work with Java much on the web - but
I've never been able to figure out a straight answer as to whether or
not that is true.

After reading Adv. PHP Programming, George makes me think that there
aren't any problems with large-scale PHP applications, and from my
short frolic in the land of JSP, it really just seems like PHP to me. I
haven't done any servlet stuff, but it seems like you could accomplish
the same thing in PHP, essentially.

 From all I can tell (and I'm no big PHP or Java guru), but PHP is just
as good as Java. I personally like PHP because its more flexible and
way less verbose. System.out.println.righthere.astext.please("hello")
vs. echo "Hi." :o)

Thoughts?

I know the list might be a little biased towards PHP, but if Java is
really a better way to go for large scale stuff, I'd like to get to
know it as well.

--John