[UPHPU] MVC

Ray Hunter bigdog at venticon.com
Thu Nov 11 08:05:51 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:28, Mac Newbold wrote:
> I guess you'd call what I do "ad-hoc", but really it's just following
> basic principles that any programmer (no matter what language) should
> know. I think there are just a few main principles that if applied
> properly can dramatically reduce your need for a "framework", "template
> system", or the like.
>
> Principle #1:
> Proper code reuse (here I'm talking within a single project)

I agree that with proper code reuse and development effort there would
be no real need for a framework or MVC interface. After developing with
MVC and frameworks in java, php does not follow the same paradigm. When
implementing these types in php there is an overkill to it all.

> Principle #2:
> Separate logic and display appropriately

I would agree with this and there are other ways to handle this. You can
handle this in classes where you have presentation classes and business
logic classes.  However, one thing is for certain that the presentation
layer need to be clean and simple.

One other principle that i would introduce to this would be the
following:

Principle #3:
Use technologies that are need. (Just because you can does not mean you
should or need to.)

This stems from my experience as a software architect. I find myself at
times reviewing new technologies and code to see how i can implement it
into my current project. For example, i wanted to use an MVC framework,
however, after review and much consideration, i felt that it would
hinder the system, because it did not solve all the issues that i was
currently faced with.  I instead choose to use various other components
and bring them together.

--
Ray