[UPHPU] MVC

Fred Larsen fred at bitwyze.com
Wed Nov 10 09:07:14 MST 2004

I have been doing a some framework shopping recently.  I wanted
something that is MVC based.  In my search I discovered some very cool
frameworks.  I made a list of the frameworks that I came across.   This
is by no means a complete list of frameworks.  It is just a list of
some of the ones that I found and my impressions.

PHP Patterns is a site dedicated to design patterns in PHP.  The site
is not getting updated as much as it was in the past but the content is
still very good.
http://www.phppatterns.com
	MVC Pattern (Version 2) article
	http://www.phppatterns.com/index.php/article/articleview/19/1/1/

Tony Marston's site is a wealth of information.  He has enough content
on is site for two or more books.  After you take a look that the MVC
article be sure to check out all of the rest.  I do not agree with
everything that he says but he has been developing software for more
than 20 years and has thought a lot about it.  One thing that he does
that I thought was cool is that he uses XSLT for his templates.
http://www.tonymarston.net/php-mysql/model-view-controller.html

Hive framework is PHP5 only and used Flexy for templating.
http://www.zend.com/php5/contest/contest.php?id=138&single=1

The ISMO PHP Framework
http://ismo.morrdusk.net/

XAO (XML Application Objects) framework uses XSLT for the templating.
http://xao-php.sourceforge.net/ctrl.php?op=home

Typo3  is content management system. The feature that I most like is
the workflow engine.
http://typo3.org/

Seagull PHP Framework
I did not look to much as Seagull.  I think there is someone on the
list that knows more about this one.
http://seagull.phpkitchen.com/

The PRADO Component Framework (very cool)
This is a really cool framework.  Everything and I mean everything is
an object. Many many design patterns.  Nice clean code.   PHP5 only.
The only thing that I did not like was that it is a little to heavy for
what I need to do.
http://www.zend.com/php5/contest/contest.php?id=36&single=1

Magma is a framework based on Mojavi.
http://www.zend.com/php5/contest/contest.php?id=19&single=1

Ambivalence is yet another MVC framework.  It is based on the
Java-based Maverick project.  I am only including it because I came
across it in my search.  It has not been updated since 7/16/2002.
http://amb.sourceforge.net/

php.MVC is another framework.  It is still in beta but looks promising.
http://www.phpmvc.net/

"Limb is the first WACT based CMF".  Looks like it could be pretty
good.  Much more than I need.
http://limb-project.com/root

Mojavi MVC
This is another very cool framework.  Mojavi has a couple of really
cool features, filter chains and action chains.
http://www.mojavi.org/
	Tutorials:
	http://www.peterrobins.co.uk/it/mojavi/tutorial.htm
	http://ad.hominem.org/log/2004/06/tutorial_on_mojavi.php

Phrame MVC
This is one of the lighter weight frameworks that I looked at.  I liked
that the for the "view" it lets you chose whatever you would like to
use.  Be it Smarty, XSL, PHP, or even FlashMX it does not matter.
http://phrame.sourceforge.net/

After searching for more than a week I am not totally sold on any one
framework.

Fred