[UPHPU] php frameworks

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 11:20:49 MST 2004

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 12:28:06 -0600, Scott Barber
<scott.barber at tonservices.com> wrote:
> Smarty isn't a bad thing. I run it on a very high-load webserver and it
> doesn't perform as well as expected. I did tweak caching as much as I
> could, but caching isn't something I could do a whole lot of in the
> first place.
>
> I also want the full MVC breakdown and smarty didn't give it to me.
>
> Flexy seems to have all the great features of Smarty with out the load time.

We run smarty here on all of our stuff at CoffeeCup software - no complaints.
Let me bust out some of the internals of smarty real quick:

The "compiled" smarty template is simply inline php, so if your smarty
templates are slow, something is wrong with your webserver serving up
php.

Secondly, smarty is built to "compile" further using APC or TurckMM
Cache because of this.

Thirdly, I'd recommend looking into your database if you are using
one, and checking on how you are indexing.

We have no load problems with smarty at all, have extremely low load
AVG, and have hundreds and thousands of visitors per day.

As much as I like the functionality of smarty, I'm the type of guy who
believes that there is always something better.  I'm interested in
Flexy .. do you have a url? or is it a freshmeat project?

--
-- Matthew Frederico
http://www.ultrize.com