[UPHPU] Templating systems

David Smith DavidSmith at byu.net
Wed Feb 11 14:41:39 MST 2004

The Smarty docs are very good. Almost as good as the PHP documentation
itself. I have used Smarty once with phpBugTracker, and it was extremely
clean and pretty. The phpBugTracker developer actually packages smarty
with the download of phpBugTracker, so you can get an "out-of-the-box"
look at how it works. The other nice thing about Smarty is that it is
quite fast, since all the templates are "compiled" into raw PHP code once,
which is then executed at page request time.  The syntax is great and the
results are very clean files to maintain. Highly recommended.

--Dave

<quote who="District Webmaster">
> I guess what bothered me about smarty was a (perceived) lack of a good
> starter tutorial. Of course, I haven't looked at it lately . . .
>
> Can you recommned a good tutorial?
>
> Dave

> Hey Dave,
>
> My programmers will tell you that I am very Pro-Smarty.  Its clean.
> Very
> clean.  A true tool that allows complete separation of code and design.
> highly recommend you take a longer look at it.  You won't find or write
> anything better.  It only looks convoluted due to its power and
> flexibility.
> It basically has its own PHP based language built in that is simple
> enough
> for designers to understand.
>
> We currently use it for a shopping cart system and it works like a
> charm.
> It allows us to use the same shopping cart functionality for over 100
> different sites.  We control the look, feel and navigation of the check
> out
> process for each site individually without having to re-write any cart
> code
> at all.  It works really slick.  That's my take for what its worth.
>
> PJ

Dave Smith

--
Dave Smith